Light Chasing Setup - Desert Shoot
*Mentoring Workshop at the end of April in LA. Contact info at the bottom of this article (it will be a small group and fill up quick)
Students often ask me, "where do you start with lighting? What's your favorite light modifier?" Let me start by saying when using off-camera light you always have one constant light source, what is 'available' or what is often referred to as 'natural light.' I have trained my eye to search for the available light source first and then build lights around that. I'm obsessed with searching for unusual light: reflections, dappled, soft, hard, patterns, contaminated, etc. I'll say it again, available light is the one thing that is constant in every photo (unless you are shooting in a vacuum...lol).
If you want a quick peek into a simple light scenario centered around the most basic available light source click READ MORE.
From My Window - East to West Coast
I drove from St. Petersburg, Florida to Indio, California for two weeks. I stopped and visited with friends in various cities along the way...Santa Rosa Beach, New Orleans, Corpus Christi, Phoenix, and Indio. I primarily shot from my car while driving (I know...dangerous),
ThinkTank Camera Bag Family - Traveling Light and Heavy
VIDEO REVIEW COMING SOON!!! CHECK BACK
My ThinkTank bag collection covers all the stops; I have a bag for light weight Lightenupandshoot Style street portaits, a middle weight bag that will cover 85% of most client shoots and Big ThinkTank Mama which is suitable for my international commercial gigs.
Meet my ThinkTank family:
Click Read more below to get the skinny on the different ThinkTank bags I use and why...
Lightenupandshoot Style Seminar/Mentoring - Dec. 2013
I'm driving across country making a documentary of my journey; along the way I am giving several Lightenupandshoot Style seminars that are designed to inspire and give a different perspective in the art of photography. This isn't a workshop/seminar that focuses on gear or technique, rather it's meant to ignite/re-ignite your passion to create art and engage with your subject.
Create a Lightenupandshoot account ( HERE ) if you are interested in attending the seminar at one of the following cities:
Seaside, Florida Dec. 12
New Orleans, LA Dec. 15
Baton Rouge, LA Dec. 16
Corpus Christi, TX Dec. 19
Phoenix, AZ Dec. 22
Palm Springs, CA Dec. 28
In My Chair - Portraits of Friends and Clients at the Studio
'In My Chair' is a collection of portraits taken at my studio the past several months. I usually start each session at the studio before venturing to a location; my studio has a great feel and the music is usually pumping loud through my Bose system. It's fun to ask the model/subject to DJ tunes with their mobile device ... the first few minutes, whether your professional or not, is always a bit uncomfortable. So...my chair is a great pl to let the magic begin...hence...In My Chair.
Click read more to see the series.
Photography Lighting Natural Light - Light Chasing
Chasing the Light is something I have talked about for the past couple of years. The one thing constant when shooting is there will always be available light; a constant light source. Most newbie shooters want to jump into off camera flash and forget that half of the image comes from an available light source. I start by hunting interesting light that's taking place and add additional light as needed; that is called "Light Chasing." Training your eye to see refections, hard vs. soft, shadows, etc. takes time. Walk around like a detective the next time you do some street light and search for light. Watch the video!
- Wedding Photography - Barbie and Ken? WTF!
- Approach and Work with Models Tag Along in LA - Nov. 9-10
- The Light Weekly Workout - w/Mikey
- Handheld HDR in Amsterdam - Lightenupandshoot Style
- LA Tag Along limited to 4 photographers: models, models, models
- Photography Lighting - My New Secret Weapon
- Behind the Scenes NYC (part 1) - The Poser
- Landscapes and Exercise with the Fuji X100 - Lightenupandshoot Style!
- Photography Tag Along -Engage
- Photography Rules Get Thrown Out the Window
- mikey's colombia tag along - 20min in...
- Portrait Photography - Lightenupandshoot Style
- Trigger Happy? - Which Wireless Triggers Should You Buy?
- New Lightenupandshoot Tshirt!!!
- Breaking the Rules, Have Fun! - Lightenupandshoot Style
- Approaching Strangers - Italian Leica Girl
- Backpacker Studio 2013 Workshop Tour / Tag Along
- Pawn Stars Shoot and BTS of Lightenupandshoot Miami Workshop
- Photography Tips - Natural Light Chasing Technique by Lightenupandshoot
- Posing and Light - Lightenupandshoot Style
- In Search of Gold - Adventure Photography - Lightenupandshoot
- Andrew Litsch on Getting More Contrast w/ Lens-Hoods
- developing style - skimpy underwear shoot
- Colombia -the unexplored - Lightenupandshoot Adventure
- Light Kit - Backpacker Studio - Lightenupandshoot Style
- 500px Stories and Critique - Lightenupandshoot
- How to Light - Lightenupandshoot
- Happy New Year from Cartagena
- nude shots by michael thompson - WARNING
- Gear Review - New Product to be Released Dec 5th
- Cartagena Tag Along Dec 28 - Jan 3
- Photography Adventure Tag Along with Mikey Behind the Scenes
- Gordon Flash Strap Update - Lightenupandshoot
- Alien Bees B1600 - Mikey is letting his go
- Shooting with Others (Part 1) - LUAS Style
- Two Singhs and a Camera Thank You
- Off Camera Flash Photography - Outside the Box
- The Unknown, The Dangerous, The Mysterious - Photography Adventure
- Lightenupandshoot Tour and Adventure
- Flash "The Gordon" Strap by Lightenupandshoot
- Mikey's Corner coming soon!
- Inspiration - Realestate Guy Turned Photographer
- Fuji X100 - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- Natural light video and headshot techniques
- 'The Marilyn' Flash Strap
- Gear secrets, Approaching and Technical - Lightenupandshoot Style
- I finally fold and buy the Fuji X100
- How to find a model in 5 words...glimpse into the past
- Street Photography - Lightenupandshoot Light
- Colombia prepares for wave of tourism - Tag Along Colombia!
- The Lightenupandshoot Crib
- You want to shoot like this? YOU CAN!!!
- Creative Portrait Challenge - THEN GO LIVE
- Self Portrait - Your Submissions - Lightenupandshoot
- Tag Along Workshop Schedule for North and South America
- Return to Colombia - One of my Favs!
- It's amazing the people you meet with the camera...
- Swimwear Shoot- Lightenupandshoot
- Nikon D600 vs D700 - Pictures Leaked - Lightenupandshoot
- Amazing Photo Tips - The World is Your Studio
- All Access Tag Along with Michael Thompson
- Happy July 4th from Lightenupandshoot
- NYC Sneak Peek Video
- B&H Photo - Lightenup Workshop May 30 - June 2
- Michael and Johanna travel to San Pedro
- WARNING: This will make you cry - and smile
- Saberstrip shoot with Parkour Athlete - Lightenupandshoot
- Super Sized - Lightenupandshoot Style
- VBOOK, NYC WORKSHOP, AND EUROPEAN TAG ALONG
- Stumbling into something different - B&H Photo Presentation May 30-31
- Portrait Style - Michael Thompson - Lightenupandshoot
- Experiment Photo Challenge - win win win
- Hong Kong - ND
- Singapore Commercial Shoot w/the Backpacker Studio
- I love the Set-Up - You?
- Nikon Shooters! Looking for a Telephoto Lens???
- Bikini Behind the Scenes - Be Careful....!
- Rare Ninja -Lightenupandshoot
- Can you Approach Models???
- Learn More Tricks Like This - Vbook
- Avenger Tall at 12.6' (feet) - PHOTOGIRAFFE
- Coffee Region Road Trip - 10 Adventure in South America
- PHOTO-HANGOVER - Not for the Faint of Heart
- Lightroom 4 Beta - Lightenupandshoot
- Breakin' the Sync Barrier - 1/250 NO MORE!
- Day 3 of the Lightenupandshoot "Tag Along"
- I Am Up to My Same Old Tricks
- Antioquia Adventure Photography Itinerary - February 24th - March 2nd
- A Special Note for Those Seeking Photographic Inspiration (If you want to experience this with me in late February, go to the bottom of this post now)
- blanco y negro corto . lightenupandshoot
- Everyone else does it - What's in the bag?
- Self-portrait - Lightenupandshoot
- Lightenupandshoot Style has some pros cringing
- Angeles de Medellin - Lightenupandshoot
- Mikey on Directing
- Get Creative and Use Your Mac! Garage Band and Photos
- Returned from New York City - Slideshow
- New Orleans last weekend and I'm off to New York City
- New Orleans Voodoo Adventure Starts Today!!!
- Victor speaks about Lightenupandshoot and the 80-200mm 2.8 Lens
- Can you say Lightenupandshoot.com?
- One of my favorites - Lightenupandshoot
- Ambient for the Main Light - Lightenupandshoot Style
- Parkour Behind the Scenes
- Shoot Through Scrim w/ Reflector - Lightenupandshoot
- Who is Mikey?
- Rare Ninja - lightenupandshoot
- Beef Up Your Westcott 28" Apollo - Lightenupandshootstyle
- Mikey's mom paints one of his photos - Joypfefferkorn.com
- Cano Gomez - Tourist Photographer
- Drewshoots and Lightenupandshoot in Ft. Lauderdale
- Lightenupandshoot NYC Behind the Scenes
- London Photoshoot - Preview
- Photo Journey
- Lightenupandshoot Portrait Safari in NYC!!!
- Angelina Elizabeth Bianco - You are missed!
- Hong Kong Shoot with F8 Photography
- WE HAVE A WINNER...AGAIN!
- ThinkTank Airport Security v2 - Asian Tour Review
- Impact LiteTrek 4.0 Monolights Unboxing!
- The Candid Frame #112 - Our Turn To Talk
- The Monochromatic Photo Challenge!
- The Video Process!
- Edwin Firminger - Featured Pro!
- Keeping Texture - Skin Softening - Photoshop Tutorial
- A Photo Can Change Lives!
- Behind Behind The Live! Susan & Kenna
- Frank Doorhof - WOW!
- The First Winners of the Photo Challenges!
- Masks Explained - Photoshop 101
- Layers - Photoshop 101 - The Foundation
- Sharpening in Photoshop - WHY? WHERE? WHEN? HOW!
- Reflectorific Photo Challenge! OH YEAH!
- Should I Work For Free? - by Jessica Hische
- Jeremy Buck and the Bang!
- WOW! - Aurora Borealis - from fstoppers.com
- Black & White with Color - Photoshop Tutorial!
- "Eyeballing" The White Balance - Photoshop Tutorial
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 OH YEAH BABY!
- A few days with the Canon 60D
- Announcing Photo Challenges!
- Japan Earthquake/Tsunami March 11, 2011
- New Server!!! Oh Yeah!!!
- How to find a Location, Wardrobe and Model in 1 Hour - Part 2
- I SHOOT RAW - SOMETIMES!
- IPAD 2 Review and insight!
- The Stolen Scream by fstoppers.com - MUST SEE!
- Location, Model & Wardrobe in 1 Hour - Part 1
- COMING SOON! 3 Full Shoots!
- Thescrewbox.com our trusted Mac Technician
- Lightenupandshoot T-Shirts YAY!
- A Time To Remember!
- Las Vegas - WPPI Trailer
- Las Vegas - Leave Your Comfort Zone!
- Ibarionex Perello - The Candid Frame - Conversations
- Reflectors, Scrims and Natural Light!
- And The Winners Are...
- Bruce Smith - Lightenupandshoot Conversations
- Radio Flash Triggers - Backpacker's Studio
- Nikon D7000 IN STOCK @ BHPHOTO.COM!
- Lightenupandgiveaway a BlackRapid RS-5 & RS-W1
- Umbrella Brackets of the Backpacker's Studio
- Light Stands in the Backpacker's Studio
- Shallow Depth of Field with a Cheap lens!
- Nikon D7000 and the Nikon Video Advantage!
- The Donate Button!
- El Amazonas - Intro - Part 1
- Los Mamos de la Sierra Nevada - lightenupandshoot.com
- Lensbaby - Two Minute Tuesday
- 5 Mistakes Retouchers Hate!
- Nikon 70-210 f/4 Lens Review - Oldie but Still Rocks!
- Photo District News Feb 2011
- Textures - Two Minute Tuesday
- aRGB - sRGB - WHAT RGB TALKING ABOUT?
- Liquify Smile - Two Minute Tuesday - lightenupandshoot.com
- The Art of Telling A Story - Eugene Richards and Vivian Maier
- White Balance - Lord Kelvin Style
- 12 Tips of Christmas - lightenupandshoot.com
- Skin Retouching with Content Aware
- Help Portrait - Medellin, Colombia 2010
- Help Portrait 2010 - Medellin Colombia
- Shoot for BlackRapid - lightenupandshoot.com
- Westcott Apollo Tilt Solver Bracket - lightenupandshoot.com
- INVITE TO ALL - VENICE BEACH, CA - Shootogether!
- El Castillo - Behind The Scenes - Lightenupandshoot
- Angeles de Medellin, Colombia - lightenupandshoot.com
- Fixing Blown Skies - Photoshop Tutorial
- Mikey's Return to Colombia Part 3
- Mikey's Return to Colombia Part 2
- Mikey's Return to Colombia
- More to come...
- Does my photo suck?
- Thank You Everyone!
- THE V-BOOK IS OUT!
- Site Registration
- Breaking the Sync Barrier!- lightenupandshootstyle
- Flash to subject distance - D.O.F.E.
- Changing Color - Photoshop Tutorial
- Lighten Up And Let Them Shoot!
- Lighten Up And Snoot - Bar La Sierra - Envigado, Colombia
- April Fool's - What Happened to Lightenupandshoot!
- Los Angeles, St. Pete & Jacksonville - Photo Shootogether
- The Coolest President - Ned Bunnell
- Backlighting with the Sun
- Covenas, Colombia - Behind the Scenes
- Lighten Up And Re-Shoot - Parkour Part 2
- Free Running Shoot - Paulo Andres Escobar Part 1
- Manizales, Colombia - Behind The Scenes
- El Carmen, Colombia - Behind The Scenes
- La Ceja, Colombia - Behind The Scenes
- Pixel Peepers - lightenupandshoot.com
- Light Modifiers Explained - Backpacker's Studio Part 2 & Part 3
- Help Portrait - Santo Domingo, Colombia
- How To Find A Model In Five Words Or Less!
- Grand Finale - The Shoot! - Flash 101
- El Retiro, Colombia - Bee-hind the Scenes
- Recreating the Sun with 4 AA's - The MacGyver Shoot
- Flash Power - Flash 101
- Why we love speedlights!
- Why Colombia?